Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Counting game

We made a counting game today, although everyone is still really tired. (By the way, one thing I'm learning is to limit the number of other adults in my children's lives, but more on that later maybe. I've noticed a perceivable difference in their behavior as it relates especially to obedience when they interact with too many other adults. Perhaps it has to do with styles of relating to them. I don't know. All I know is we're going to have to stay home tomorrow and if nothing else gets done, we're going to be working on getting their behavior back under control. There hasn't been any outright rebellion but there definitely have been little rumblings and mumblings.)

The counting game was fun. And they enjoyed most of it. I wrote a number on an index card which they had to identify and then they stuck colored dots on the back which matched the number I had just written. It was number recognition, counting and fine motor skills all in one. And I found out something in the process - they recognize numbers just fine but they have no concept of counting. They do go in order but they begin at a random number. When James came home,  he went over some numbers with Bombie again which was such a blessing because she relates to him in a completely different way. But I know now what the next immediate focus has to be - counting, counting, counting. Add that to reading, reading, reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment