Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Criticism by any other Name

The old story about Indian crabs goes a little like this. There was once a man who passed by a fish market to buy some crabs. There he saw a vendor who had a few baskets of crabs. They were all covered with lids except one. Curious, he went up to the vendor and said, "Why do you cover the baskets?" "Because the crabs will climb out if I don't," the vendor replied. "What about that one?" the man asked, pointing to the one basket that was left uncovered. "Oh, those crabs will never climb out," the man said. "They're Indian crabs. As soon as one tries to climb higher, the rest pull him down. I never have to worry about Indian crabs climbing. Ever."

Sad, but true. Embarrassing, but real.

A very close friend of mine recently posted a happy, cheerful status update about coming out of one's comfort zone and trying something new. The barrage of comments she received were almost all disappointing. "Did you THINK?" one asked. "She probably just got out of bed!" another said. "Did you cook?" another asked. And these are her friends, mind you. In and of themselves, the comments were not accusatory or insulting, but lined up like that made me think of someone kicking a man who is already down.

I have noticed this behavior often in people from the east. My childhood is certainly replete with barbs and arrows coming at my brother who was doing far beyond anyone's imagination in his studies. His only consolations were his scholarships and my parents who stood by him. But the taunts and the insults hurled at someone so hardworking and painstaking in his work were just incredible. He heard things like, "I bet he can't climb a tree!" or "He won't last abroad one week! He's going to come running back. Just watch!"

The comments against my friend, who shall remain unnamed, were certainly not that sharp, but sometimes, it's worse when criticism and harsh words are coated in the veneer of, "But only I can say it because I'm your friend. It's endearing." For one, a curse is a curse is a curse. It does not serve the purpose of bringing people closer to one another or deepening a friendship. If anything, it silences. It cuts short joy, enthusiasm and certainly love. Secondly, the next time the person tries to do something new, he hears those voices. And stops. Another crab who will never climb!

The reason this is so frustrating is because I know I do it, too. This Lent, I'm fasting from name-calling in all forms. Jesus said whoever calls his brother a fool is in danger of hellfire. While fear is not driving me to do this fast, I am driven by the check I feel deep inside me each time I call someone a name. Words have power. Undeniable power. And I give them that power because I am made in God's image. God spoke the world into being. Jesus is referred to as The Word in the gospel of John. Paul exhorts us later in one of the epistles that blessings and curses should not roll off the same tongue. Lent has been extremely difficult this year. Partially because I have realized that it's harder in the company of people I love. It is in the company of people I love the most that I curse the most, am unkindest the most. It is the ones I say I love the most that I don't bless with my mouth.

How sad is that?

My husband completely bowled me over last year when I was complaining about our neighbors. I said something to the effect of, "I don't know why you're so careful around those people. They blast their music and they don't deserve any kindness!" I will never forget what he said. It was like Jesus spoke to me. "Shouldn't we be careful around all human beings? Don't they all deserve kindness?" Yikes.

Perhaps I thrived here in the United States because my husband didn't make fun of me, even to endear me to him. He even used the words, "You're right!" - something I had never before heard addressed to me. I drank deep from his encouragement in those first few months. I used to think, "If you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" was silly advice, but now I think otherwise. There are times when there is a need for righteous anger, but clearly, it's not as often as we think.

6 comments:

  1. When I was in high school, on the last day of school we where all saying our goodbyes to each other and a boy in my class who I thought liked me came out with "See you around, wide-load" Of course at the time I laughed it off, but it is something that has stayed with me for close to 20 years. I'm sure he never gave it another thought, but it's always been in the back of my mind. Words can cut deeper than knives and leave mental scars that never fade. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purva,
    You always make me think!
    I throw these birthday parties - puppet show/play/swimming, I have individual gifts for each child that comes - I make the mother write a note - and I use that - I have a Little Prince (from the play The Little Prince) giving out each gift - "there's a boy here who wants to grow up and ride horses. And every night he reads books about them..." I see the boy light up in the audience and think - how does the little prince know this about me? and he is handed a dvd about horse racing.
    I also make sure the entire family comes - most parties in India it is maids and kids + party organisor + bollywood music.
    I serve the best food I can afford, I have round tables so parents can sit with their children and I have great music (soft!)
    A friend who has attended all parties comes up and says "Oh karishma's parties are just nominally for the kids, they are a way for her to enjoy herself with her friends."
    er yes. Kind of.
    The wife of this man (we are a group of 8 couples) taunts a couple that seem to be having marital troubles "Oh you guys never come together, we see either one or the other, don't you live together anymore?"
    These are supposed to be our friends, and this is how they are made welcome. By friends.

    I remember when I was seven, my art teacher laughed at me because I said my mother wants me to enroll in an art class. Imagine - I didn't join. I didn't learn.

    I think however that the hand-behind-mouth snicker has a lot to do with the growing up years. I find it more rare now. I suspect your experience of America is coloured (or should I say colored :) by the fact that you went there post-20. Do you think peer pressure in America is small - at the school level? It seems unlikely to me. You've met a great set of people - who are devout and therefore more open to love and loving.
    I find in general - that most people around me are much more evovlved than even one generation ago - generationally, we are moving forwards. I tell everyone I meet now that I am struggling with a book - I think it's because something in my experience has taught me that the universe has only love and encouragement - and I'm garnering it off the collective energy of people. I trust they will buoy me up, not pull me down.
    I am still trusting of people.
    And yes, everyone deserves love. easier said that done haha. I see a photography analogy - small apperture,let less light in, slow to click on good memories and recognise them. These are inefficient machines, and deserve more love so that they may learn by example, we were all made to be madly happy and grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane,

    Yes, I'm realizing the little things have long-term stickiness. We can always take it to the Lord, though and He can heal us and make us whole. Only He can do that. I would know. He has freed me from about thirty years of chains around me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karishma,

    Your analogy is so perfect! And I love what you said about "we were made to be happy and grateful."

    Yes, it is possible my experience is colored and you're right about the newer generation being more careful but I wonder if it goes beyond just political correctness? I am trusting of people, too, but I felt let down so often. I think we are broken but when we truly listen to the "God whispers" we can rise above ourselves because we were not made to be this way, but sin is a very real thing.

    I am so blessed with wonderful friends and a community. I really am. And I can take no part in bragging about it because it's not because of how great I am. :) I can't even count my blessings because there would be too many. God has been faithful to provide.

    You know, you really should take an art class. It's amazing the things you really can do when you set your mind to it. I'm RUNNING now. I never imagined I would, because of the derision. And yet, when I came to Jesus, the first thing I wanted to do was run! Ha! I felt light and free.

    About peer pressure here, I suppose kids can be cruel. Adults are, too, though... although less so to strangers than to friends and neighbors. Isn't that just the saddest thing? No country is perfect and America has its own set of problems but I honestly have not heard the kind of cutting daggers I heard in India come from anyone here. For now, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like being on Sunday Church where the priest tell you something to think very deeply and it makes you look for closer reconection with God to heal your soul and help you to be a better person. I woul like to tell you how my brain was working while reading your posted article, but still can't find the right words in English or still having afraid of being misunderstood. Just let me tell you that the society in wich I grew up has the same characteristic.
    Thank you to become your thoughts in words.
    Sincerelly,
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veronica,

    Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I'm hoping that just hanging out with us and hearing English being spoken constantly around you is helping you get better!

    Love,
    Purva.

    ReplyDelete