Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Finding a Voice



One of Jerry Seinfeld's greatest one-liners goes something like this: "The one thing people fear more than their own death is public speaking; which means that at a funeral, they would rather be in the casket than at the podium!" I was to give my testimony yesterday at our annual Tea and Treasures at MOPS. It was ten minutes of getting in front of seventy-five women and talking - okay, reading - what Jesus means to me and what He has done in my life since He became My Lord and Savior.

I could barely sleep the night before. Each time I woke up, I felt nerves and had trouble going back to sleep. It helped to know that everyone goes through this, even a "mentor mom" in our MOPS group I look up to and other women who had given their testimonies the year before. But I was still nervous and shaky. Each time I thought about getting up there to face the crowd, looking into their eyes while talking, I inwardly shuddered. No exaggeration.

On the day of Tea and Treasures, I remember the co-ordinator introducing me and me shuffling over to the front, taking my position in front of the microphone a bundle of nerves. My hands were shivering, I didn't trust my voice to carry me through ten minutes in front of a group. Ten minutes can be an excruciatingly long time when all eyes are on you. I would know. I had tried to give a real estate presentation before in front of a much smaller group and had fallen flat on my face. Metaphorically, of course, but still. Now, I tested the microphone, asked if it was too loud, took a long breath, even said something about my heart beating. Duh. Of course, my heart was beating - I was alive! What I meant was my heart was beating so fast! That should tell you something about my overall state.

I began to talk and that was when everything changed. Everything. An unearthly calm came over me. I paused - at the end of sentences as I had been advised to do, and looked at the audience. I was in no hurry to get done. I didn't need to even look down to read some sentences. I even - gasp!- enjoyed myself, sharing my love for The Lord, revealing things about my life that had previously been stowed away in the dark, hidden in corners of conversations only accessible to a few. I allowed the Lord access into them and He shined through. He shined through me.

I had read somewhere that He equips the called, but had never before experienced it in such a real and powerful way. He truly does. He is helping me find my voice. I can't wait to do it again!

4 comments:

  1. I love how you point out that He equips those who are called. And I really love that your post displays that it's important to obey the call even when you don't FEEL equipped YET... the equipping is often done after we've committed to the action of obeying, and in that moment of waiting, I alwayas find my faith is growing. Thanks for sharing so honestly about your experience and the wonderful way the Lord provided His peace that passes understanding as you needed it! I bet everyone was really blessed to hear your heart for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, you're absolutely right! While reflecting on the incident and the post, I thought I didn't get that peace that passes all understanding a minute before I started talking. Not a minute before! I had received assurances that everything would go smoothly and I would be fine, but that calm which came over me only came from obedience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Purva you blog warmed my heart, Having moved back to the Uk and a new church, which I have to say is so very differant from any Church in the USA.I joined the small music group, We were asked if we could take part in an up coming service, as there are so few of us I offered to do the prayers. I have never stood in the front of any Church taking prayer... I went though all the same feelings you did, but as soon as I started to pray calm came over me and I felt so close to my God. He was standing right beside me. I learnt a lesson that I should never fear as My God will always be with me..
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Kathy. I am also learning that no matter how I FEEL at at any given moment, the truth is that He has never left me, no matter what the enemy may whisper in my ears. I find great comfort in the words, "I have called you by name. You are Mine."

    ReplyDelete