Monday, December 27, 2010

A Quiet Christmas

This has been the best Christmas by far. It has also by turns been the loudest (with the kids screaming), the happiest (baking cookies late into the night while having a heart to heart conversation with hubby), the most fun (playing Scrabble with friends on Christmas Eve), the most disappointing (Church service was such a letdown and it could have been so much more), the most extravagant (James bought me a Kindle!!!) and the most quiet. I am at peace in my heart this Christmas, not wanting or craving something other than what I have. 

I did not put up lights this year. I did not beg my husband for a specific gift. I did not even get a big tree. I got a plastic one and had fun with the kids decorating it. I wrote a Christmas letter. I baked cookies and gave them away. I did not shop till I dropped. I was not frazzled. I also did not feel like something was missing. I even heard my husband confess that this has been his best Christmas yet.

And that might just be the biggest blessing of it all.


1 comment: