Tuesday, December 28, 2010

3.1

If it is true that life is a marathon not a sprint, then I would like the race of faith to be a 5k. This morning was the first time I ran 3.1 miles. 

I have never been a runner. When I started running this summer, it was on the treadmill. I found out, much to my disappointment, that I could barely run for one minute without having to walk. So I started to follow this website's guidelines for a few weeks. Then my wonderful husband suggested I try running outside on the open road. So I did. First just a block, then half a mile, then a mile. And today - today! - three point one whole miles.

Benjamin Cheever in Strides calls the daily run "at first an ordeal and then an accomplishment..." and then "a staple like bread, or wine, a fine marriage, or air." 

Or prayer, I would add. 

Faith is often called a race in The Bible. James (my husband, not Jesus' brother) has noted many times that in his experience Christians seem to have an affinity for running. The book of Hebrews urges us to "run with endurance the race that God has set before us, looking to Jesus the author and finisher of our faith." Isaiah prophesied that "those who trust in The Lord shall run and not be weary." I know a handful of true Christ followers who like to run as well. Maybe there is a connection somewhere but I don't think I know enough to explain it.

All I can speak of is what I have experienced and continue to, how I understand - in a very small way - what the character of Eric Lidell says in Chariots of Fire, "When I run, I feel His pleasure."All I can say is that His mercies truly are new every morning and there is no better way to experience them than in a sunrise run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment