Thursday, May 2, 2013

Sweet Potato Bread (Gluten-Free, Egg-Free)

I've been on a bit of a baking kick lately. So I thought I'd attempt to make some sweet potato bread. We had quite a few sweet potatoes lying around that would go bad soon. So I made sweet potato three ways, so to speak: regular sweet potato bread for the kids using this recipe, gluten-free, egg-free sweet potato bread for James (recipe follows) and sweet potato and oatmeal protein bars (recipe coming up in a different blog post) for me for a late night treat.

Surprising thing about the two breads? I like the gluten-free, egg-free version better. It's more moist and tender! Frustrated with the lack of recipes for good gluten free sweet potato bread, I made my own. So, here's the recipe:

1 cup almond meal
1 cup gluten-free flour (Bob's Red Mill All Purpose)
1 1/4 cups roasted and mashed sweet potato
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
Ener-g egg substitute (equivalent of 2 eggs)

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, adding egg substitute last. Bake at 350 in an oil lined bread pan for about 45 minutes to an hour until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Voila! I think he's going to like it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment