Thursday, September 24, 2009

Another Attempt at TV goes Awry

I absolutely do not mean to suggest here that I don't watch television - I have my Hulu and we watch a select few shows that I can tolerate that don't have obvious ideology associated with them. (Are there any left? Thank God!) For example, I enjoy a good dose of House, The Biggest Loser, Fringe and other select shows. But today I made the mistake of being adventurous and looking for "something else." Ha.

I came upon Eastwick.

It was a pilot for a new series on ABC. Boy oh boy... where do I start? It begins with a widow screaming at an old man (wearing a veteran-like uniform, nonetheless!) inquiring about if he's going to stop staring her breasts and buy something from her stall. I imagine it's some sort of a fair in a little New England village. The woman's daughter then enters the scene concerned about her mother and she's dismissed as "worrying too much" and told to "go rebel; chase after boys or something" while the Merry Widow's much younger boyfriend (who looks like he's her daughter's age, really!) enters the scene and plants a deep smack on her lips. "We're not doing anything wrong," he reaffirms.

The second of the three women is a brilliant writer who believes she will never get ahead at her job no matter how good she is because her boss is a chauvinist. Yeah, right. But even SHE owns a vibrator. Hint, hint. Just because she's clumsy doesn't mean she's not liberated. Yeah.

The third is perhaps the favorite of the feminist group: the poor little thing that "gives so much and does so much for everyone else" that she is left wishing "someone else would take care of [her] for a change." Oh, please. Are the screenwriters so out of lines that they're having to look at daytime talk shows for help now? Or are we just so brain-dead that we don't see this for the obvious crap it is?

I had to turn it off. And I wasn't any more than ten minutes into a pilot episode of a new series. I know, I know... it's based on a novel. But John Updike was too good of a writer to have come up with platitudes like these. The witches of Eastwick were man-less but nowhere in the novel do we find the obvious and overt hatred of men that came across loud and clear in the first ten minutes of this show. And why Witches of Eastwick and not Terrorist, a more relevant novel by the same author on all counts?

Television has gotten so out of whack with reality, the willing suspension of my disbelief is no longer something I can muster without serious brain surgery. I'd rather have my brain, thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I have officially labeled myself as a "fuddy duddy". I can't even enjoy TV shows anymore... and the commercials? Don't even get me started on those. Movies are just as bad...

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even stand to watch TV shows anymore...and the commercials? Don't even get me started on those!

    We have Netflix and we use Hulu, but the number of decent options are diminishing.

    Kari

    ReplyDelete